Setting up Postgresql on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phil Campaigne
Subject Setting up Postgresql on Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,
  I am trying to use the linux startup script in the contrib directory
of the distribution.  I get the following error in the server log:

LOG:  invalid secondary checkpoint record
PANIC:  unable to locate a valid checkpoint record
LOG:  startup process (pid 1480) was terminated by signal 6
LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure

When I issue the this collamd I get an error:

[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$ psql -- v
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

I have added theses lines in postgresql.config:

tcpip_socket = true
port = 5432

If I isssue the command:
[postgres@hardwoodthunder postgres]$ /etc/init.d/postgres status
Password:
pg_ctl: postmaster or postgres is not running

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
thanks,
Phil