Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Claudio Cicali
Subject Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date
Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
Jan Wieck wrote:

> Claudio Cicali wrote:
>>
>> This is *WRONG*.
>>
>> MySQL is *free*, but is double-licensed.
>>
>> Please refer to this page for further details.
>> http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html
>>

> Did you even bother to look at that page yourself? It clearly says

Yes, I did.

> exactly what I said up there. If your code is available free of change
> as open source, then and only then, you and the users of your code are
> free from license fees. In any other case you have to buy or keep your
> stuff for yourself. Special restrictions apply to any changes you might
> want to make to it, and so on and so forth.

(quite) Right. Free of charge and Open Source are not, technically,
synonims. License fees are another story.

> Free to me means a little more than "currently free of charge under
> certain restrictions that are subject to change under our discretion".
> And the latter is how I read the MySQL license explanations, but IANAL.

Wrong.

That's true for *every* software that holds a copyright (as the GPL).
As far as I'm the (only) copyright holder of a software, I (and only me)
could CHANGE COMPLETELY the way I distribute that software. This changes
do not apply to yet-released version.

This, btw, is the problem that currently leaves the new XFree86 version (by 4.3.99)
sligthly away from GPL. They changed the licence to a more restrictive one
(point 4.).

So, your assumption is meangingless.

--
Claudio Cicali