Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Claudio Cicali wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > Claudio Cicali wrote:
> >>
> >> This is *WRONG*.
> >>
> >> MySQL is *free*, but is double-licensed.
> >>
> >> Please refer to this page for further details.
> >> http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html
> >>

> > Did you even bother to look at that page yourself? It clearly says
>
> Yes, I did.
>
> > exactly what I said up there. If your code is available free of change
> > as open source, then and only then, you and the users of your code are
> > free from license fees. In any other case you have to buy or keep your
> > stuff for yourself. Special restrictions apply to any changes you might
> > want to make to it, and so on and so forth.
>
> (quite) Right. Free of charge and Open Source are not, technically,
> synonims. License fees are another story.

I'm confused.  The message in question used the word "free" along with
qualifications for closed source and last time I checked the word free did
not implicitly mean free software especially when combined with a
qualification for closed source.  I mean, I'm not the best English
speaker/writer in the world, but I'd thought the word was in common usage
before the advent of computers. ;)