Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date
List pgsql-general
Claudio Cicali wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
>
>> Claudio Cicali wrote:
>>>
>>> This is *WRONG*.
>>>
>>> MySQL is *free*, but is double-licensed.
>>>
>>> Please refer to this page for further details.
>>> http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html
>>>

>> Did you even bother to look at that page yourself? It clearly says
>
> Yes, I did.
>
>> exactly what I said up there. If your code is available free of change
>> as open source, then and only then, you and the users of your code are
>> free from license fees. In any other case you have to buy or keep your
>> stuff for yourself. Special restrictions apply to any changes you might
>> want to make to it, and so on and so forth.
>
> (quite) Right. Free of charge and Open Source are not, technically,
> synonims. License fees are another story.

I might be a little slow, or misunderstand you completely. You claimed
that "MySQL is *free*". In what sense is it free?

Obviously you don't mean that MySQL is free because you can download and
use the software for some purpose without paying money directly or
indirectly to MySQL AB in Sweden. Because under that definition Oracle
10g is *free*, you can download and install the complete Linux x86
Enterprise Edition and use it for some purposes and don't owe Oracle a
nickle. I don't think that anyone, including Oracle, would agree here
that this is *free* software.

So can you please explain in detail why you think that the term *free*
applies to MySQL.

Jan