Re: Proper tool to display graphics? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlos Ojea Castro
Subject Re: Proper tool to display graphics?
Date
List pgsql-general

>>I want to display graphics from my postgresql database, but I must
>>choose the proper tool first....
>>

>Wanting to "display graphics" is rather vague. Are you talking
>Entity-Relationship Diagrams? Directed trees? Pie/Bar/Line charts?

Thank you for your response, Steve. I want to display Pie/Bar/Line charts

>Do you want to create them interactively? Generate them on a web site?
>How much programming are you willing to do?

Yes, I want to create them interactively, but not necessary on a web site.
I am willing to program as much as neccesary.

>For business graphics the choices run the gamut from queries imported
>into OpenOffice to (gasp) MS Access talking to PG via ODBC.

I am using PostgreSQL under linux

>For web we have found jpgraph to be very nice. Not free for commercial
>use but dirt cheap and well worth the small price. It's runs under
>PHP so you can incorporate it in a web page or a shell script. It
>supports a variety of business and scientific graph styles.
>
>AT&T's graphviz is interesting for directed tree and similar diagrams.
>You can roll your own queries to generate the necessary input files.
>This is what pgautodoc does to create database diagrams.
>
>R is a statistical package which can create a variety of graphical
>outputs and there are a number of projects to integrate R with PG.
>
>That's just a start. You might try searching freshmeat.net if these
>don't meet your needs.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

Thank you Steve, so: is PG a good choice for me?
Cheers,
Carlos