Re: Compile Vs RPMs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Compile Vs RPMs
Date
List pgsql-performance
Anjan Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know whether there are any significant performance
> advantages of compiling (say, 7.4) on your platform (being RH7.3, 8, and
> 9.0, and Fedora especially) versus getting the relevant binaries (rpm)
> from the postgresql site? Hardware is Intel XEON (various speeds, upto
> 2.8GHz, single/dual/quad configuration).

"significant" is a relative term.  1% can be significant under the proper
circumstances ...

http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/source.php

The information isn't specific to Postgres, and the results aren't really
conclusive, but hopefully it helps.

I really think that if someone would actually test this with Postgres and
post the results, it would be very beneficial to the community.  I have
it on my list of things to do, but it's unlikely to get done in the first
quarter the way things are going.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies