Re: Testing pg_terminate_backend() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Testing pg_terminate_backend()
Date
Re: Testing pg_terminate_backend()  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-patches
> Attached is my test script.   I ran it for 14 hours (asserts on),
> running 450 regression tests, with up to seven backends killed per
> regression test.

Hmm, there are something on the order of 10000 SQL commands in our
regression tests, so even assuming perfect randomness you've exercised
SIGTERM on maybe 10% of them --- and of course there's multiple places
in a complex DDL command where SIGTERM might conceivably be a problem.

Who was volunteering to run this 24x7 for awhile?

>         SLEEP=`expr $RANDOM \* $REGRESSION_DURATION / 32767`

Uh, where's the randomness coming from?

            regards, tom lane