Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5...
Date
Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5...  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
>> In a situation where you've got subselects, it may not be immediately
>> obvious which FROM list the entry got added to.  I can't think of any
>> simple way of identifying that, however :-(

> Not sure how to handle that either.  I could print the subquery level
> number, or I could say "in subquery" or even go fancy and do "in
> sub-sub-query" depending on the number of levels down.

That seems like a good idea; it won't help tell the difference between
two subqueries at the same level, but in a lot of practical cases it
would tell you what you needed to know, and it won't confuse a novice.

I like the "... in subquery", "... in sub-subquery", etc wording.

BTW, Jan was complaining that a number of the regress tests now "fail"
because they provoke this message.  Should we just update the expected
outputs, or should we change the tests not to use the feature?
        regards, tom lane