problem with jdbc connection to postgesql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phil Campaigne
Subject problem with jdbc connection to postgesql
Date
Re: problem with jdbc connection to postgesql  (Paul Thomas <paul@tmsl.demon.co.uk>)
List pgsql-general
Hi All,
I am seting up my web app with a tomcat/postgresql hosting service.
 From my psql client I type psql and then I am asked for my password.
This logs me into my hosted database just fine.

However, I can't log on from my webapp to the database thru jdbc like I
could when my webapp/Tomcat/postgresql were on my local machine. The
jdbc class only has a method with 3 parameters, url, user, password
parameters. The  hosting server is giving me the following error message:
 >Stack Trace:

 >java.sql.SQLException: FATAL 1:  Password authentication failed for
 >user "xxxxxx"

 >So, it looks like it is trying to connect using username xxxxxx,
 >not password yyyyyy.

I'm using the DriverManager.getConnection(url, user, password) method in
my connection class.

jdbc:postgresql://database.domain.org/databasename

username: xxxxxx
password: yyyyyy

It seems to be confused by the presence of the extra parameter 'user'.
I believe that the postgresql database wants just the password. How do I
give it just the url and password.  There is no getConnection method on
the DriverManager classd with just url and password?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas?
thanks,
Phil