Re: recatalog existing databases after re-build from source - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: recatalog existing databases after re-build from source
Date
List pgsql-general
----- "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 15:28 -0400, gnuoytr@rcn.com wrote:
> > Going through the PLPython threads on the Planet, I realied that I
> needed plpython.  So I rebuilt PG with python, expecting that I could
> then re-catalog the databases.  But, not.  initdb, wants the data
> directory, which is where the database files are, and doesn't run if
> it's not empty.  The data directories have descriptive names like
> 16431, etc.
> >
> > These are only small test db's; losing them is not a big deal, but
> is there a way to get them back?
> >
> > When I went to   createlang  I got the no "root" user message, which
> is why I went to look at initdb.  adduser says that postgres user
> exists, which makes sense.
> >

> I am having a hard time understanding your problem. Why do you have
> recatalog the databases? Why not just createlang -u postgres?
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> > thanks
> > Robert
> >
> --

My guess is he thought he needed to re-initdb the cluster after rebuilding the source to generate plpythonu. Robert,
youdon't need to do that. As Josh said use createlang to add plpythonu to the database.

Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net