Re: Incremental results from libpq - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Goulet, Dick
Subject Re: Incremental results from libpq
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Frank,
With a lot of things Oracle the real answer is: it depends.
For a simple "select * from <table_name>" even with a where
clause you may simply get the results one row at a time as they are
extracted & deemed appropriate for the result set.  But if you've
included a group by or order by clause, or a union/intersect/minus
clause then yes, the database will assemble results before sending them
to the client.
Also Oracle supports cursors which allow you to pop one or more
rows off of the result set at a time.  The way Postgresql returns data
all at once is different.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified DBA