Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Chad R. Larson
Subject Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database
Date
List pgsql-admin
At 04:19 PM 10/12/02 +0100, Chris Miles wrote:
>If anybody has any horror stories with postgresql over NFS, please share
>them.

I have no horror stories, as we aren't doing such a thing.  But it might be
in our future.

I think the version of the NFS protocol you can use is =very=
important.  For example, regarding file locking:  V1 didn't do it at all
(every transaction was supposed to be stateless, which means persistent
requests were just an error.  In V2, support for locking was defined, but
many implementations always returned successful and didn't actually do
anything.  I believe that V3 gets locking right, but I don't know about fsync.

You're gonna have to test your environment...

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100