Re: Column name case conversion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zeljko Trogrlic
Subject Re: Column name case conversion
Date
List pgsql-general
Look at the Interbase solution: they have so called "dialects". Dialect 1
is currently old Interbase 5.x and older. Dialect 2 is intermediate dialect
for easier transition. Dialect 3 is Interbase 6 dialect. They did some
pretty nasty changes between 1 and 3, but you can select in client (ODBC
driver etc.) which dialect you'll use.

>> Compatibility could be solved with compatibility flags. I guess this is not
>> the only place where PostgreSQL breaks compatibility (like any other
>database).
>
>I was more thinking about backwards compatibility.
>I guess you could switch forward by having the database have two name
>columns, one for the search name (lowercased) and one for the "real"
>name.  Then you'd need a hack that would lowercase the real name of
>the identifier if you had a quoted and unquoted version with the
>same case.
>Cases such as ID, "id" would be failures (duplicate identifier) just like
>it is now, Cases such as "ID", id would work (the quoted one also only
>matches to "ID") and cases such as "ID", ID are the same as it is now.

Zeljko Trogrlic

Aeris d.o.o.
Sv. Petka 60 b, HR-31000 Osijek, Croatia
Tel: +385 (31) 53 00 15
Email: mailto:zeljko@post.hinet.hr