Re: Streaming Replication patch for CommitFest 2009-09 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Streaming Replication patch for CommitFest 2009-09
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> One question I have is what is the level of traffic involved between the
> master and the slave. I know numbers of people have found the traffic
> involved in shipping of log files to be a pain, and thus we get things like
> pglesslog.

That is almost the same as the WAL write traffic on the primary. In fact,
the content of WAL files written to the standby are exactly the same as
those on the primary. Currently SR has provided no compression
capability of the traffic. Should we introduce something like
walsender_hook/walreceiver_hook to cooperate with the add-on program
for compression like pglesslog?

If you always use PITR instead of normal recovery, full_page_writes = off
might be another solution.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao