Re: Table Partitioning Advice Request - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Re: Table Partitioning Advice Request
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/12/17 David Fetter <david@fetter.org>:
>> You really think that calling and running a trigger function for every
>> line is the best solution?
>
> Yes.  The trigger function is choosing from a small subset of the
> tables, or you know which tables exactly the rows are going into and
> insert them there.

So I understand that when a table has multiple RULEs, the planner just
browse all of them
to check the one(s) that will apply.
What I have in mind is a "side table" with some bookkeeping data to be
used by the trigger
function to select the actual table to be used.
Do you think this is faster than RULEs?

Is there any performance study for the trigger-based implementation?

> Oh, and please do trim, and don't top-post.  I've fix this in this
> post.

Sorry! :-)