Re: cursor MOVE vs OFFSET in SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From silly8888
Subject Re: cursor MOVE vs OFFSET in SELECT
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> silly8888 escribió:

>> > OFFSET/LIMIT. Afaik cursor always fetches everything.
>>
>> Well, in my experiments they always perform the same. I suspect that
>> the way SELECT/OFFSET is implemented is not much different than
>> cursor/MOVE.
>
> The cursor could choose a different plan due to the "fast startup"
> behavior that Pavel alludes to.  You can actually change that by setting
> the cursor_tuple_fraction parameter.  Whether this plan is faster or
> slower than the other one is problem dependent.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

OK, so based on what Alvaro & Pavel said, the following two
possibilities are equivalent as far as the query planner is concerned:

   $sql_query OFFSET 3000 LIMIT 12;

or

   BEGIN;
   SET LOCAL cursor_tuple_fraction=1;
   DECLARE cur1 CURSOR FOR $sql_query;
   MOVE 3000 IN cur1;
   FETCH 12 FROM cur1;
   COMMIT;

The problem is that in the latter case, the query planner doesn't know
in advance that we are going to skip the first 3000 rows.