Re: Connection reset by peer / broken pipe - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant)
Subject Re: Connection reset by peer / broken pipe
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm in the process of tracking down the cause of this... Is there any way on the server side of things to terminate a connection after "x" number of minutes?  For what we're doing, there is no reason to have a connection open after 10 minutes.

Thanks in advance--

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant) <jeff@referee-assistant.com> wrote:
That's possible.  They are communicating with the server using MS Access, which is connecting to the server through the Postgres ODBC driver.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Jeff Wigal (Referee Assistant)" <jeff@referee-assistant.com> writes:
> I am running Postgres 8.2.3 and am seeing the following error messages in my
> logs:

> LOG:  SSL SYSCALL error: Connection reset by peer
> LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
> LOG:  could not send data to client: Broken pipe

Do your client applications tend to leave an open connection sitting
idle for awhile?  If so you might be getting burnt by idle-connection
timeouts in intervening routers.  NAT-capable boxes in particular
will kill a connection that carries no data for "too long".  If you're
lucky the router will offer a way to adjust its timeout ...

                       regards, tom lane