Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gianni Mariani
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Travers wrote:

>Regarding the importance of PostgreSQL on Windows.
>
>For example, I am developing a hotel reservation management application
>using Python and PostgreSQL (http://sourceforge.net/projects/openres).  This
>will only run on Linux and UNIX, so in order to get this to run on Windows,
>I need to use either MySQL or Firebird.  Or aI can require Cygwin.  But that
>is a bit over the top IMO, for a small hotel or B&B to consider, especially
>because I want to run it if possible on existing equipment to keep
>implimentation costs down.

Does Microsoft's "Windows Services for Unix" run Postgresql ?

I was a little surprised (but it makes sense) that Microsoft actually
ships GNU based products.

Another option is to use Linux under VMWARE and put PostgreSQL under it.

However, I'd agree that a native port to windows would be best.