Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
I am not sure if my previous email was sent, so I am trying again.

From: "Casey Allen Shobe" <cshobe@softhome.net>

> You can blind yourselves to the users, but do this for long enough, and
you'll
> discover you don't have any users, no matter how great your product might
be.

This is exactly my point.  A truly open source project with large community
involvement is fundamentally more responsive to user demands than a small
centralized one that releases the project under an open source license.

This hybrid approach sometimes works for a while but in the end, it does not
really work so well.  We have already seen Caldera OpenLinux fall because of
such a strategy, and now, we are seeing GTK win many battles over QT for the
same reason (despite the fact that many people see QT as superior to GTK).
In fact the current success story I can see with the dual license strategy
is that of Sleepycat Software's Berkeley Database.  But then it is a niche
product...

The fundamental problem is that although the 2-track approach starts out
with a larger, more vibrant community, it is harder to grow this community
because community involvement in the entire process is more limited.

> We live in a very strange world where people use what they see advertised
the
> most, or what the most of their friends have told them to use, instead of
> doing actual research and making an educated decision.  As a PostgreSQL
user,
> I've had to deal with at least 20-30 MySQL nazis telling me that *I'm* the
> ignorant and accursed one, whereas I've met one guy who likes PostgreSQL.

You know, this is the challenge at hand-- how to more successfully promote
PostgreSQL.

Although we should always be working to improve the database, I think that
you are right that it is not the limiting factor in competing with MySQL.
It is, however, when we are talking about competing with Oracle.

I see the work ahead to be along the following lines:

1:  The development of a community-maintained curriculum for PostgreSQL.  Or
at least a skill set definition that individuals can use in order to develop
the skills necessary to be considered truely competent.

2:  Third parties producing PostgreSQL distributions, including client
libraries, additional PL's etc.  They can then market their products and
help take some of the heat off the main advocacy site.  I know that there
are already some closed-source distros out there from SRA, Command Prompt,
etc. but we also need some open source ones as well.

Maybe if I have the time.  Or maybe some other consultants out there would
like to take this on as well, or at least help...

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers