Re: Sequence name with SERIAL type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marek Lewczuk
Subject Re: Sequence name with SERIAL type
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Marek Lewczuk <newsy@lewczuk.com> writes:
>
>>I'm curious if the default scheme for sequence name (which is created
>>with SERIAL data type) can be changed -- currently all sequences are
>>named like this: <table_name>_<field_name>_seq -- can it be changed for
>>e.g. <table_name>__<field_name>__seq ???
>

> Sure ... just hack one or two places in the sources ...
>
> That probably wasn't the answer you wanted, but I'm quite unsure what you did want.
I just asked is it can be done (somehow...).

> Are you suggesting the above would be a better default
> naming scheme?  Are you saying you want user-configurability of implicit
> sequence names?  In either case, what's your argument why we should
> invest effort and possibly create backwards-compatibility issues?

I'm not saying that proposed naming scheme is better - I think that it
is more readable, and I'm using it in my project.
Look at below examples:

Primary key:
1. <table_name>__pkey
    (e.g. my_clients__pkey)

Foreign key:
1. <table_name>__<field>__fkey
    (e.g. my_clients__client_id__fkey)
2. <table_name>__<field>_<field>__fkey
    (e.g. my_clients__client_id_company_id__fkey)

1. <table_name>__<field>__index
    (e.g. my_clients__country__index)
    (e.g. my_clients__country_city_street__index)

Sequence:
1. <table_name>__<field>__seq
    (e.g. my_clients__client_id__seq)

As you can see all naming schemes are very similar, and becouse of this
I just wanted to know if there is something like "user-configurability
implicit of sequence names". I didn't want to propose NEW naming scheme
- but maybe my naming schemes are worth looking at.

ML