Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oli Sennhauser wrote:

>>> I'm simply presenting a problem for which I currently do not see any
>>> solution
>>> (it's very important for us to be able to restore db within a
>>> reasonable amount
>>> of time). If there's no solution and none is planned, then we cannot
>>> use pgsql,
>>> can we?
>>

>> You're simply presenting a problem that isn't there in the first
>> place. If you really feel the need to shoot yourself in the foot, use
>> separate schema and data dumps and do the latter with "-X
>> disable-triggers".
>>
>> And now will you please put it to rest?
>
> If this is not a prio 1 problem, what are then the prio one problems???

Did you read my mail or only that last sentence?

> You are a developer, right? Did you ever manage a big database in
> production? What shoul I tell to my customers when they want to have a
> not that big database (100 GB) in PostgreSQL: "I am sorry, but we are
> not able to do performant backups, I recommend you to choos ORACLE
> instead???". Is it this we/you recommend?

Among many other things I am a developer too, and I have managed
customer databases up to 1.2 TB. But I wonder what you are.

You should tell your customers that they have to dump their databases as
    pg_dump -d swisscheese >swisscheese.schema.dump    pg_dump -a -X disable-triggers swisscheese
>swisscheese.data.dump

This is what I recommended in my previous mail. Is that an unacceptable
solution for your customers or what is the problem?

Jan