Re: PL/SQL packages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: PL/SQL packages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:35:11PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Karel Zak writes:
>
> >   in our TODO is the item: "Add PL/PgSQL packages".
>
> I think the interesting part are the package-global variables.  The
> name hierarchy seems completely redundant with schemas.
Agree, but there is more advantage than package-global variablesonly. The Oracle PACKAGE:   - package is interface
definitiononly and the real functions are   defined in PACKAGE BODY, it allows you change internal logic, but
interfaceis still same.

   - package-global cursors
   - package-global variables
   - ??
Maybe  PACKAGE can  be in  PostgreSQL implemented  as special  a littleextended schema (like sequence are  special
table)and we needn't thinkabout something new.

   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/