Re: disaster recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Satrapa
Subject Re: disaster recovery
Date
Re: disaster recovery  (Marco Colombo <marco@esi.it>)
List pgsql-general
Doug McNaught wrote:
> I took it as a garbled understanding of the "Linux does async metadata
> updates" criticism.  Which is true for ext2, but was never the
> show-stopper some BSD-ers wanted it to be.  :)

I have on several occasions demonstrated how "bad" asynchronous writes
are to a BSD-bigot by pulling the plug on a mail server (having a
terminal on another machine showing the results of tail -f
/var/log/mail.log), then showing that when the machine comes back up the
most we've ever lost is one message

 From the BSD-bigot's point of view, this is equivalent to the end of
the world as we know it.

 From my point of view, it's just support for my demands to have each
mission-critical server supported by a UPS, if not redundant power
supplies and two UPSes.

Alex