Re: Build farm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Build farm
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Vendredi 21 Novembre 2003 19:47, Tom Lane a écrit :
>

>>I think the main value of a build farm is that we'd get nearly immediate
>>feedback about the majority of simple porting problems.  Your previous
>>arguments that it wouldn't smoke everything out are certainly valid ---
>>but we wouldn't abandon the regression tests just because they don't
>>find everything.  Immediate feedback is good because a patch can be
>>fixed while it's still fresh in the author's mind.
>>

>Dear friends,
>
>We have a small build farm for pgAdmin covering Win32, FreeBSD and most GNU/
>Linux systems. See http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/download.php#snapshots
>
>The advantage are immediate feedback and correction of problems. Also, in a
>release cycle, developers and translators are quite motivated to see their
>work published fast.
>
>Of course, it is always hard to "mesure" the real impact of a build farm. My
>opinion it that it is quite positive, as it helps tighten the links between
>people, which is free software is mostly about.

Right. But I think we have been talking about using the build farm to do
test builds rather than to provide snapshots. I'd be very wary of
providing arbitrary snapshots of postgres, whereas I'd be prepared to
try a snapshot of pgadmin3 under certain circumstances. (Also, building
your own snapshot of postgres is somewhat easier than building your own
snapshot of pgadmin3).

cheers

andrew