Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Satrapa
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com>)
List pgsql-general
Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29 wrote:
> [sNip]
>
>>>Do a shutdown -h on a live database machine with pg. It will gracefully
>>>shut itself down.
>>
>>Is that true for all OS flavors and is it dependent upon the DBA having
>>set up proper shutdown scripts?
>
> [sNip]
>
>         When I tested this on PostgreSQL on Novell NetWare 6 it shut down
> gracefully.  I don't see why this would be different on other Operating
> Systems since the code base is essentially the same (isn't it?).

No it's not. Don't confuse the PostgreSQL code base with the operating
system it's running on.

On Mac OS X (desktop version, at least) there are no shutdown scripts.
All running applications are simply sent the "TERM" signal, then later
sent the "KILL" signal. Luckily enough, PostgreSQL seems to respond to
TERM by shutting down gracefully.

Totally off topic, but this lack of shutdown scripts, along with a lack
of proper package management are the two most painful faults in Mac OS X.

Alex