Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Alex Satrapa <alex@lintelsys.com.au> writes:
> On Mac OS X (desktop version, at least) there are no shutdown scripts.
> All running applications are simply sent the "TERM" signal, then later
> sent the "KILL" signal. Luckily enough, PostgreSQL seems to respond to
> TERM by shutting down gracefully.

No "luckily" about it: that's been the standard shutdown procedure for
Unix systems since approximately forever, and the signal responses of
the Postgres backend were consciously chosen to behave well with it.

> Totally off topic, but this lack of shutdown scripts, along with a lack
> of proper package management are the two most painful faults in Mac OS X.

I dunno whether OS X is lacking in shutdown scripts or not --- but PG
is built to shut down cleanly on any moderately-standard Unix system,
whether you have a shutdown script for it or not.  OS X is certainly
standard enough for this.

            regards, tom lane