Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?  (ow <oneway_111@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Oh, and yeah, a win32 port. Yay, another OS port. Postgres runs on dozens of
> OSes already. What's so exciting about one more? Even if it is a
> pathologically hard OS to port to. Just because it was hard doesn't mean it's
> useful.

I don't call porting Postgres to run well on something like 40% of the
world's servers (or whatever it is) "just another port".

It could conveivably double Postgres's target audience, could attract
heaps of new users, new developers, new companies and put us in a better
position to compete with MySQL.

I think it's actually a necessary port to keep the project alive in the
long term.

Chris