Re: Open Sourcing pgManage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Open Sourcing pgManage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>I think there is room for lots of GUIs, though, and having a Java admin GUI
>>would be cool too, as would having a servlet/JSP based admin client deployable
>>as a web archive.
>>

>If someone's looking for an interesting GUI project, Applix had a database
>frontend that was geared more for data rather than DDL. It presented a
>spreadsheet-like interface for arbitrary sql queries and handled dealing with
>arbitrary sized result sets and allowing editing of fields using primary keys
>etc.

pgAdmin3 has not only the DDL browsing tool, but also a data
manipulation tool, doing pretty much what you describe (spreadsheet
like, in-place editing, result set size only limited by the backend).
It's functionality is quite basic at the moment, enhancements in
progress. There are plans for a supplementing data manipulation
application suite that allows for import/transformation/... stuff. And
we plan to include a scripting engine into pgAdmin3 (probably Python),
for easy add-on programming.

Regards,
Andreas