Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manfred Spraul
Subject Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Manfred Spraul <manfred@colorfullife.com> writes:
>

>>signal handlers are a process property, not a thread property - that
>>code is broken for multi-threaded apps.
>>

>Yeah, that's been mentioned before, but I don't see any way around it.

Do not handle SIGPIPE on multithreaded apps, and ask the caller to do
that? The current code doesn't block SIGPIPE reliably, which makes it
totally useless (except that it's a debugging nightmare, because
triggering it depends on the right timing).

>What we really want is to turn off SIGPIPE delivery on our socket
>(only), but AFAIK there is no API to do that.

Linux has as MSG_NOSIGNAL flag for send(), but that seems to be Linux
specific.

--   Manfred