Re: unexpected query behavior with UTF text - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Indra Heckenbach
Subject Re: unexpected query behavior with UTF text
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Thanks for the response.  I actually have tried to re initdb with
locale=C and I got the same results.  If my locale is ignoring Ja chars,
how can I change that?  I expected that UTF-8 would consider all
characters, being a universal encoding.  A colleague also tried  the
same test with a different server (locale also set to utf8).

>Text = depends on strcoll(), which is locale-sensitive.  It sure appears
>that your locale is designed to ignore japanese characters :-(
>

>>I found a related issue on the mailing list, where locale setting was
>>causing something similar.  However, my locale is set to "en_US.UTF-8",
>>which is the solution proposed to the other problem.
>>

>We have heard before that RH9's default locale setting is seriously
>broken.  This seems to be additional evidence for that opinion.  I'd
>recommend re-initdb'ing in locale C.
>
>Also, you say "your locale", but how certain are you that that is the
>database's locale, and not just the oe in your own user environment?
>It'd be a good idea to use pg_controldata to check the database settings.

I tried to mannually initialize it, and my initdb.i18n exports
LANG="en_US.UTF-8".  Is there any other way I can check?

thanks,
Indra