Re: how to use pg_resetxlog - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: how to use pg_resetxlog
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>I realized that this probably isn't an XID issue as I first thought.
>Either the pg_attribute file is actually missing (is there a file named
>'1249' in the database directory?) or the relfilenode value for it is
>clobbered in pg_class.  In the latter case you could maybe find and fix
>the erroneous data with a hex editor, but one would have to wonder what
>else has been clobbered during the disk crash.
>
>Thinking about it, it could be that the clobber is only in the database's
>pg_internal.init cache file --- you could try renaming that out of the
>way to see if the system can successfully make a new one.
>
>Also, this failure should only affect one database in the cluster ---
>can you connect to any other ones?
>
>            regards, tom lane

Is there in any graphical picture of the system files, utilities, and
how the interact with each other?

Or in how to set up Postgres?

I would be willing to draw it up if someone wanted to send me pencil
drawings and go throught the editing iterations with me.