Re: Recomended FS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Recomended FS
Date
Re: Recomended FS  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Re: Recomended FS  ("James Moe" <jimoe@sohnen-moe.com>)
Re: Recomended FS  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: Recomended FS  (Richard Ellis <rellis9@yahoo.com>)
Re: Recomended FS  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
Some sort of ATA Raid is probably worth considering -

e.g. I am experimenting with a system using 2 ATA-66 Seagates + 1
Promise TX2000

The disks themselves give fairly poor performance when attached to the
std IDE channels :

sequential write 15Mb/s
sequential read 20Mb/s

But attached to the Promise card using RAID 0 do considerably better:

sequential write 52Mb/s
sequential read 52MB/s

Now you would probably not use RAID 0 for a "real" system (unless you
had good backups), but the difference is interesting

Note that even including the card, this is a very cheap setup.

(I have not gotten around to testing random read and writes, but if
anybody is interested I can test this and supply figures)

regards

Mark