Re: Recomended FS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Ellis
Subject Re: Recomended FS
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:56:52PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Some sort of ATA Raid is probably worth considering -
>
> e.g. I am experimenting with a system using 2 ATA-66 Seagates + 1
> Promise TX2000
> But attached to the Promise card using RAID 0 do considerably
> better:
>
> sequential write 52Mb/s
> sequential read 52MB/s
> Note that even including the card, this is a very cheap setup.

You may also want to consider the 3Ware IDE raid cards
(www.3ware.com).  Unlike the Promise card, they are full hardware
RAID with onboard CPU's to handle all the RAID work and offload that
from your main CPU in your PC.  They are a bit more expensive than
the Promise offerings, but when you consider than the larger cards do
RAID0/1/5 totally in hardware on the card, the price difference is
not so great afterall.

Some of their (3Ware's) larger cards allow you to attach up to 12 IDE
disks to the card as well as giving you hot swap capability.