Re: Intermittent ODBC problems and spurious usernames and - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Intermittent ODBC problems and spurious usernames and
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Michelle Murrain wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 15:39, Mike Mascari wrote:
>
>>Access is first trying to connect using the Access user id whose
>>default is Admin.
>
> Is there a way to turn this behavior off?

I think Access will only first attempt to connect using the current
Access user id if there isn't a valid user id in the connect string
associated with the ODBC link. I don't know of a way to turn that off
specifically, although there might be. I do know you can:

1) Specify the userid in the ODBC driver before creating the link
although this has an obvious security downside

or

2) Use DSN-less ODBC access by prompting for the userid and password
yourself in a Form and initialize Access with the userid and password
via Visual Basic:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2003-07/msg00041.php

> It looks like it might include some useful tweaks, but...
>
> Any advice on using this table - is it worth it? Does it create any
> problems I should be aware of?

I'm not sure. According to techdocs, PgAdmin has a tool to
automatically create msysconf for you if you so choose:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2/Guides/Using%20Microsoft%20Access%20with%20PostgreSQL/view#31

> Do you use it?

No. But I haven't deployed an Access-based application in a long time.
Depending upon the nature of the application, the number of records
fetched in a single Form instantiation, for example, taking the time
to configure msysconf might make sense...

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com