Re: Which is faster SQL or PL/PGSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Which is faster SQL or PL/PGSQL
Date
Re: Which is faster SQL or PL/PGSQL  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
Josh Berkus wrote:
>>Yes, I believe so (well, actually the optimizer). An inlined SQL
>>function ends up behaving like a macro that expands at run time and is
>>therefore quite fast -- no function call overhead at all.
>
> ... but only in 7.4.   In 7.2 and I think in 7.3 this was not implemented.

Yeah, that's what my original post said ;-)

> While we're on the topic, anyone know any good ways to speed up EXECUTE
> statements in PL/pgSQL functions?

Never tried it, but is it possible to use a prepared statement inside a
PL/pgSQL function? In any case, you can in other PLs. And with library
preloading (starting in 7.4), the first call to other PLs is similar to
that of PL/pgSQL. See:  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-07/msg00239.php

Joe