Re: Insert query - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Greg Campbell
Subject Re: Insert query
Date
List pgsql-odbc
I guess you are using RDO under VB5. My first suggestion is to "get thee
to a newer interface."
But the real problem lies in the SQL.

Serial data types are auto-incrementing and do not need a value in the
INSERT statement ergo:
INSERT INTO users VALUES ('Nigel');
should work just fine -- or almost

Secondly, you are trying to use POSITIONAL syntax on the insert, that is
to say you have written
INSERT INTO mytable VALUES (field1_value, field2_value,
field3_value,..);
This make success dependent on the order of your fields in the INSERT
string being the same as the order of the fields in the database, so the
order of fields in the database better not change.

It is a better practice to use field name explicit syntax
INSERT INTO mytable (field1_name, field2_name, field3_name,...) VALUES
(field1_value, field2_value, field3_value,..);

example
INSERT INTO users (first_name, last_name) VALUES ('Nigel','Brookes');