Re: Keep-alive? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Keep-alive?
Date
List pgadmin-support
Dave Page wrote:

>>- this works only for the main window, not for those getting
>>their own connection. The wxWin timer will conflict with the
>>threaded executed queries, because it's not aware of
>>previously or currently executed queries.
>>

>It purposefully only works on the master connection to each server as
>there is no point in individually polling individual databases on the
>same server.

Each database has its own connection to the server (just checked with
netstat), and thus is individually target of a firewall surveillance/
forced tcp disconnect.

> Unless you've changed the code from what I originally
>wrote, the master connection will never be used for threaded queries.

Wouldn't make sense to thread them too, but what about disconnects on
Query Tool, Data Grid etc?

>>- Does it work at all? pgConn is no window, so where should
>>the message come from?
>>

>Yes of course it works, I didn't just randomly type code and post it:
>
>class pgConn : wxFrame

Deriving from wxFrame doesn't mean it gets events, because the default
wxFrame constructor won't create a window, so it's no window in win32's
sense. I just checked the msw implementation of wxTimer, it doesn't use
the message loop, but a callback proc, that's why it's working. Still,
declaring pgConn to a kind-of window doesn't make me feel too
comfortable (wxEvtHandler should be sufficient). I'd rather like to have
the pg classes free of all this sm_xxx stuff.

Regards,
Andreas