Re: bit length not correct in pgAdmin III 1.0 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: bit length not correct in pgAdmin III 1.0
Date
List pgadmin-support
Jacco Beije wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all thumbs up to all pgAdmin developers: it's a great tool
> and I've
> been happy using it for quite some time now.

Thanks!

> I would like to report a small bug in pgAdmin III 1.0 with regard to
> bitlength:
>
> - A column that is defined as bit(32) will appear in pgAdmin as bit(28)
> (both in the column properties and the sql view).
>
> -Also when you try to edit the bitlength things the bitlength will not
> be what you entered (if you enter a bitlength of 32 it will actually
> create
> a column with bitlength 36)
>
> Note that creating a new column with bitlength 32 will create the correct
> bitlength 32 (but will appear as bit(28)
>
> Hope this is usefull info,

Hi Jacco,

this is helpful indeed. Catching all little bugs takes time, especially
finding them.
This one will take a little more time to fix, because I'll be recoding
things to make datatypes more consistent. Since we modify internal pgsql
tables, we can't use the pgsql supplied functions, and need to find out
all typmod values ourselves. bit is obviously wrong, it behaves
different from char and varchar. Dunno why...

Regards,
Andreas