Re: Fwd: installing postgres7.3.4 problem II - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robby Russell
Subject Re: Fwd: installing postgres7.3.4 problem II
Date
List pgsql-general
javier garcia - CEBAS wrote:

> Please, disregard my last message. I've discovered that in "password" file it
> was mentioned a path '/var/lib/psql' where Mandrake distro installed postres
> previously. I've solved it.
>
> But I still have another problem:
>
> A later step in Postgres installation instructions says:
> "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &"
> and with this I obtain:
> "bash: logfile: Dennied permission"
>
> I don't know bash either, so I can't understand the problem.
>
> Could you give me a hand?
>
> Javier

Javier,

What user are you when installing postgres?
You might try to do the following:
--
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
/tmp/pgsql.log start

--

Basically, the problem you are having is that the user that you are
currently logged intot he shell as, doesn't have permission to

-Robby

--
Robby Russell,  |  Sr. Administrator / Lead Programmer
Command Prompt, Inc.   |  http://www.commandprompt.com