Re: C vs plpgsql and child processes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: C vs plpgsql and child processes
Date
List pgsql-general
Jason Godden wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Yeah - It is declared VOLATILE.  I think there must be something specific with
> the way PL/PGSQL handles child processes of a called function.  The child
> process actually spawns mpg123 or ogg123 so it has to live beyond the life of
> the parent.  Not sure.  What I might do is rewrite the entire procedure from
> woe to go in using SPI and see how that goes.  Failing that I guess I could
> always peek at the source! : )

PL/pgSQL does not pay any attention or could affect child processes of a
backend to my knowledge. Are you sure that the PL/pgSQL function really
calls your C function forking off the child? The best way to check would
be to have some NOTICE coming out of your C function before it actually
does create the child.

Jan