Re: The database is very slow ! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Webster
Subject Re: The database is very slow !
Date
List pgsql-general
>postmaster (trhough postgres.conf)?  If you haven't done any of these then I
>wouldn't be surprised if the db was slow - i think the default install of
>most linux distros leaves you with 32mb shared memory which makes your 700mb
>of RAM useless.  As far as 60 fields are concerned I doubt that would be a
>problem although I've never used a table with more than 20 - anybody out
>there know if number of fields on a table can create performance issues?

I'm having performance issues also.  High load averages on all
postmaster processes.  I performed 2 tests:

1) lowered the number of fields/columns from 273 to 60.  No affect.

2) changed from adding a new record/row once per second to every other
second.  Load average dropped 30-40%

I plan on trying to up the shared memory from 32Meg to 256Meg today.

--Chris