Re: The database is very slow ! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Godden
Subject Re: The database is very slow !
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Kystof,

I haven't read the other suggestions but I'm running a db where some tables
and views have over a million records without any issues on similiar
hardware.

Out of curiosity - have you actually performance tuned your OS and the
postmaster (trhough postgres.conf)?  If you haven't done any of these then I
wouldn't be surprised if the db was slow - i think the default install of
most linux distros leaves you with 32mb shared memory which makes your 700mb
of RAM useless.  As far as 60 fields are concerned I doubt that would be a
problem although I've never used a table with more than 20 - anybody out
there know if number of fields on a table can create performance issues?

Lastly - how complicated are your indexes?  If you have indexed every field on
that table then that could be an obvious issue.  How many fields from the
table have foreign key constraints?

Let me know how you go,

Jason