Re: Feature request -- Log Database Name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Feature request -- Log Database Name
Date
List pgsql-hackers
There seem to be 2 orthogonal issues here - in effect how to log and
where to log. I had a brief look and providing an option to log the
dbname where appropriate seems to be quite easy - unless someone else is
already doing it I will look at it on the weekend. Assuming that were
done you could split the log based on dbname.

For the reasons Tom gives, logging to a table looks much harder and
possibly undesirable - I would normally want my log table(s) in a
different database, possibly even on a different machine, from my
production transactional database. However, an ISP might want to provide
the logs for each client in their designated db. It therefore seems to
me far more sensible to do load logs into tables out of band as Tom
suggests, possibly with some helper tools in contrib to parse the logs,
or even to load them in more or less real time (many tools exist to do
this sort of thing for web logs, so it is hardly rocket science -
classic case for a perl script ;-).

cheers

andrew