Re: RFC: Removal of support for JDBC1 drivers. - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Fernando Nasser
Subject Re: RFC: Removal of support for JDBC1 drivers.
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>
>>Very well, my current proposal is the removal (immediate) of support for
>>1.1 and JDBC1.
>>
>>Next release 7.5 we drop support for Java 1.2.  One year from now it
>>_must_ be dead (Solaris 7 probably will ;-).
>

> I'm not sure what your desire to drop supportr for 1.2 is.  In another
> thread you wanted to explicitly drop support for server versions.  I
> understand the desire to get rid of 1.1 support as it is actively
> hindering development, but there is no need to go out of our way to remove
> support for older releases of java or postgresql.  If we can make it work
> with a minimum of effort, let's do that.  Let's not drop support for older
> versions for no reason.

The driver policy is to support up to two backend versions behind.  That
has already been decided by the maintainers and is in force for a long
time.  (I agree with it by the way).  If you need support for older
versions you must save an old copy.

I need to get rid of 1.1 (and eventually 1.2) because we cannot use any
of the Java things added in newer versions of Java in the jdbc1 classes
(which implement 90% of the driver).  It is rather limiting being forced
to use a subset of the language that Sun itself already recognized as
insufficient (thus introducing the changes in 1.2 and 1.3).

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300