Re: Prepared Statements - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dmitry Tkach
Subject Re: Prepared Statements
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

>But please... did you ever use a different database than Postgres ? The
>way you're passing the parameters is VERY much postgres specific,
>furthermore, it relies on some non-standard behavior...

Yes. That's what I meant below - 'the lesser of two evils'

>>I am just choosing the lesser of two evils.
>>At least, I don't need to know what database I am going to be working
>>with when I compile the code.
>>

>... which problem you wouldn't have if you would use standard JDBC code.

True. I would not have this problem then. I would have another problem -
just no way to pass a set or array in whatsoever.... :-)
I know a better way to not have problems - if I just didn't do anything
at all, I would not have any. :-)

>I agree that standards suck sometime, but then if you want to use a DB
>specific feature, I can't see why not make it a compile time necessity -
>it might be a further benefit to remind you that your code will not work
>with other databases.

I explained the reason for not making it a 'compile time necessity'
earlier - there is no way whatsoever I can have all possible jdbc
drivers in the world available to me at compile time.

>But yes you force your customers to use Postgres, or maybe to a set of
>databases which accept this hack - it is not standard.

I don't force them to use Postgres.
I do have the driver-specific logic that uses the correct way to pass in
the parameters depending on the driver.
The difference is that this is *run-time* logic, not *compilation-time*.

>>With your suggestion, the only way I can have the above is to pack all
>>the possible jdbc drivers into every  build of the app...
>>

>Yes, all the drivers which you are using special features from. That
>makes perfect sense - those are vendor specific dependencies in your
>code, the library will remind you about it all the time so you don't
>forget to tell the customers about it ;-)

It doesn't matter really if it makes sense or not (to me, it doesn't
anyway).
It is just not possible to do. I simply do not have all the drivers in
the world available to me.
Even if I did, I can't begin to imagine what my customers would tell
when they finish laughing after receiving an app from me, with all the
possible drivers built in :-)

As for not forgetting to tell the customers about it - that's the whole
idea - I am *not* telling the customers about it, they don't want to
know that, and don't need to care.

Dima