Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...
Date
Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I tend to agree with Peter: if dblink is going to start depending on
> stuff outside Postgres, it ought to be become a separate project,
> if only to simplify distribution and configuration issues.
>
> Perhaps it could be split into two parts, a PG-specific part and
> a cross-DBMS part?
>
>             regards, tom lane
>
> PS: Has anyone looked any further at the SQL-MED standard?  ISTM that's
> where we ought to head in the long run.

I think for that very reason (SQL-MED) we need to come to terms with
this issue. If/when connections to external data sources is in the
backend, you'll have those exact same dependencies. And in fact, we do
today: consider '--with-openssl' or '--with-tcl'.

I had always assumed we would need '--with-oracle', '--with-jdbc',  etc
(or whatever you want to call them) to support backend connections to
external sources. And this discussion is the very reason I was hesitant
to pursue dblink_ora or jdbclink now, because I didn't think people
would be comfortable with configure options to support a contrib library.

Joe