Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway wrote:
> > PS: Has anyone looked any further at the SQL-MED standard?  ISTM that's
> > where we ought to head in the long run.
>
> I think for that very reason (SQL-MED) we need to come to terms with
> this issue. If/when connections to external data sources is in the
> backend, you'll have those exact same dependencies. And in fact, we do
> today: consider '--with-openssl' or '--with-tcl'.
>
> I had always assumed we would need '--with-oracle', '--with-jdbc',  etc
> (or whatever you want to call them) to support backend connections to
> external sources. And this discussion is the very reason I was hesitant
> to pursue dblink_ora or jdbclink now, because I didn't think people
> would be comfortable with configure options to support a contrib library.

I know we normally require a configure flag to look for special
capabilities, like ssl, but I thought we could skip that because it was
a /contrib and just look by default, but I now see that people don't
want to take that step.

I thought dblink was too integrated in the backend code to be a separate
project.

Pennsylvania19073