Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages
Date
Re: [NOVICE] Extreme high load averages  (Martin Foster <martin@ethereal-realms.org>)
List pgsql-performance
On 10 Jul 2003 at 0:43, Martin Foster wrote:
> As for creating a new table, that in itself is a nice idea.   But it
> would cause issues for people currently in the realm.   Their posts
> would essentially dissapear from site and cause more confusion then its
> worth.

No they won't. Say you have a base table and your current post table is child
of that. You can query on base table and get rows from child table. That way
all the data would always be there.

While inserting posts, you would insert in child table. While qeurying you
would query on base table. That way things will be optimal.

> Inheritance would work, but the database would essentially just grow and
> grow and grow right?

Right. But there are two advantages.

1. It will always contain valid posts. No dead tuples.
2. You can work in chuncks of data. Each child table can be dealt with
separately without affecting other child tables, whereas in case of a single
large table, entire site is affected..

Deleting 100K posts from 101K rows table is vastly different than deleting 10K
posts from 2M rows table. Later one would unnecessary starve the table with
dead tuples and IO whereas in former case you can do create table as select
from and drop the original..

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
"[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what Ithought of
it.  (The response was, 'Perhaps you could try to be lessabusive.')"(By Matt