Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.
Date
Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.  (Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com>)
List pgsql-general
Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Shudnt'  messages like
>
> ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(5)

Maybe, yes. It's just not that trivial to do.

> MySQL is better in these small things.
>
> I think in 7.4dev fkey violation are reported better,
> cant such behaviours be extened to other kind of
> exceptions?

We are working on it. But pointing to MySQL doesn't help a bit. If you
like MySQL better, then use MySQL instead and don't bother with the side
effects from the data type abstraction you actually bumped into.

Sorry, I'm a bit tired of "MySQL does this ...", "MySQL is better here
..." and so on and so forth. No however good error message system can be
used by the application programmer as replacement for input data
validation. Type checking, foreign keys, check constraints, they all are
last lines of defense, so that a bug in the application or a missing
input validation doesn't cause greater damage. But they are not a
replacement.

Jan