Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Subject Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.
Date
Re: Making pgsql error messages more developers' friendly.  ("Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk>)
List pgsql-general

Hi Folks,

Shudnt'  messages like

ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(5)

Indicate which column and table the server is talking about .
Without that we need to open the application source code, find the
SQL, then describe the table to find which column is varchar(5)
and if there is two columns of varchar(5) we keep wondering.

similarly when uniq indexes are violated we do not know which
key is causing it.

MySQL is better in these small things.

I think in 7.4dev fkey violation are reported better,
cant such behaviours be extened to other kind of
exceptions?

Regds
Mallah.

--